Monday, January 17, 2011

...because in america we die young


Please forgive me
For the pages of my history have been ripped out
Formed into a forgotten manifestation of time,
And stowed away in the yesterdays of my past.
My ancestors cry.
Another generation lost and blind

Through cobwebs and dust bunnies
My heart pulsates through the text of history
Burning through layers and layers of false contentment
But privilege continues to paralyze the fight in our community

Hoses down progress and spits on opportunity
My heart beats in vigorous anticipation for change
But nestled within my confident demeanor
Reluctance!
A toxin to our society, constrains

Because in America we die young

Mocked by the steps to anywhere,
In an attempt to go somewhere
Privilege topples the fragment of opportunity that exist upon my fingertips
We continue to fight against the tide,
But I still dream in tomorrows.
As hope simmers in my tocks,
As ambition carries my ticks

I am motivated by my grandmother’s voice of conviction and peace
But some days can feel like years of unforeseen burdens
As bloodlines are dismembered by systematic failures
Who are we to turn to?

Because in America we die young

Brainwashed by perfectly orchestrated hypocrisies
True challenges are not left to the imagination
But upon the doorsteps of progress
Between the fine line of persistence and dedication

Who am I to reach beyond my means?
To dream through the hands of time
My ancestors’ tears keep my dreams afloat
I refuse to lose sight of the prize

I apologize for the inconvenience
My heart beats with vigorous anticipation for change
I fear we have more yesterdays than tomorrows
As we lose sight of our reality today

One day my granddaughter will read…
In America we die young

1 comment: